Special thanks to Cliff Dunning for inviting me to join him for a conversation discussing Star Myths on his Earth Ancients radio show and podcast.
Welcome to anyone visiting the Star Myths blog and website for the first time after hearing that interview!
Apologies to anyone who tried to tune-in live and found that we were experiencing unusual "radio interference" with the signal. After a few minutes of trying to figure out the problem, we disconnected from the "live feed" and re-booted the audio. That's why the YouTubevideo above, containing our interview, seems to start off somewhat abruptly, with Cliff and I joking about the audio problems.
If you weren't listening live, below is a short sample of the audio problems we were having. After a few minutes of that, we disconnected so that Cliff could work with the system to try to fix it:
While we were disconnected and Cliff was tracking down a solution to the problem, there wasn't much for me to do, so I decided to turn to the Ganesh (Ganapati) mantra, because Sri Ganesha is known as the Remover of Obstacles (and at that point we were certainly experiencing some obstacles to communication! I had no idea whether or not we could get them fixed in time to continue the conversation). You can see more about Lord Ganesha, and what I believe to be the celestial foundations of the sacred tradition regarding his iconography here.
Perhaps with the assistance of Sri Ganapati, the obstacles were almost immediately removed, and the interview continued after that! But if you are wondering why the YouTubevideo above containing the full interview seems to start in a somewhat unorthodox manner, that's the back-story!
We covered a lot of ground -- hopefully some material that provides some new insights or perspectives that have not been covered as much in other previous interviews. Below are some links to additional material on some of the subjects we touched on during the conversation:
- The Perseid meteor shower, the Orionid meteor shower, and why some meteor showers have names.
- The "mental model" of the earth's orbit around the sun in your dining room (or other familiar part of your household or living space) -- see this video I made back in 2012.
- The importance of the constellation-outlining method proposed by H. A. Reyduring the 1950s.
- The metaphor of the ruins of a great, world-wide archaic construction described by the authors of Hamlet's Mill (1969).
- The celestial foundations of the Samson story as discussed in Hamlet's Mill, plus a video I made to show some of these celestial correspondences and explore possible spiritual messages in the story.
- The centrality of Orion and surrounding celestial "landscape" to the sacred traditions of the Lakota nation and other Native American peoples, which is discussed by Gary David in an interview with Cliff Dunning on Earth Ancients. I accidentally mis-remembered Gary's name during my interview (apologies for that), but his work sounds very important and I recommend people check it out. His own personal research and discussion with members of the Lakota and the Hopi definitely seems to line up with accounts that have been published by other researchers and others who have recorded the accounts of elders and holy men of the Indigenous nations and cultures in previous decades and centuries.
- The metaphor of "languages" or "codes" which the ancient myths, scriptures, and sacred stories of humanity are speaking -- and how we can mis-interpret their message if we try to interpret them as if they are speaking a literallanguage, when in fact they are speaking a celestial and metaphorical language.
- Evidence that the ancient wisdom around the world shares a common worldview, which can be described as essentially shamanic in nature, in which there is an Invisible Realm which is present in every man and woman and animal and plant and even in rivers and rocks and places (it is well-known that the ancient Greek myths taught such a worldview, but there is evidence that the Bible is essentially what we could call shamanic in nature as well).
- The story of the wisdom of Solomon in the ancient Hebrew Scriptures, which has been discussed in more than one previous post (see here and here) and also examined in a video here.
- The story of the irresistible necklace of the goddess Freya, Brisingamen, and its relation to the Northern Crown (Corona Borealis).
- The importance of ancient disciplines which were given to humanity for our benefit and (very likely) for the elevation of the spiritual component of our dual physical-spiritual nature, such as Yoga, Chi Gung (or qigong), Tai Chi, meditation, chanting, singing, drumming, and many others.
- The evidence for the ancient knowledge of an earth-energy grid, discussed by many other researchers including John Michell, Graham Hancock, and Jim Alison (among many others), which seems to relate to some of the precessional numbers encoded in the myths as well as to the overall cosmology of the Invisible Realm which connects everyone and everything and which is in fact the "real world behind this one" upon which everything in this world depends and from which everything in this realm has its origin.
- The upcoming Conference on Precession and Ancient Knowledge (September 30 through October 02, 2016 in Southern California), which I will be attending along with several speakers who have appeared in previous interviews on Earth Ancients, including John Anthony West, Christopher Dunn, Carmen Boulter, Robert Schoch, and many others.